Thursday 30 April 2015

Higher Math

I spent my long day at my 'regular' job today, knee deep in the tedium of other people's decimal points. While I'm grateful for that job, I'm even more so for the shift to more fulfilling math that happened just now, at 2:20 am, under the misshapen potato of a moon.
I spent the shank of my day, from 7am to 4pm numbering 100 named accounts.  Obviously, this was the brainchild of accountants, not me. After work I let my fuzzy dog go free ranging around the yard, brushed her until she was sure having a dog was my choice (over having kids), & met a dear friend for dinner at an outdoor, roadside Latin restaurant.  
The dinner options there proved to be limited only in number, not in flavor. She had camarones (shrimp) in butter sauce con mofongo (a mashed plantain dish molded into a dome, & I had the mahi con mofongo & brought home enough for tomorrow's dinner too.
We each had a Cruzan dark rum & Coke, & it is that I'm blaming for the hour of this post. I conked out on the sofa-loaf in my studio, in front of  'To Catch A Thief,' & slept soundly through Grace Kelly's gold lamé Costume ball dress-for-days.  So when I woke after 2am, I still had my fave task of plant watering to do before any hope of sleep.



(The pineapple crew--best reason to water I've ever had)
Not being facetious here--I love my daily watering ritual.
So Mu (fuzzy doglet) & I were out in the breezy yard by the light of the weird moon & newly installed solar landscape lights, watering pineapples, orchids & new shrubbery, listening to dogs in the distance, faint wind chimes, & the chittering of mango-munching bats nearby.
It was too beautiful to go inside, so after I recoiled the hose I sat on the stoop, skritched Mu & started scheming.
Tonight's task--plotting a pleasing & functional planting for the next set of pineapple plant 'Tweens' (outgrown their nursery trays, but no room in the 'in-ground' pineapple patch).  Combining recycling with fractions & algebra (the only known use for that combo), I decided to cut 3 holes between each of the solar lights in the 'bouncy grass' on the slope above the stone retaining wall by my driveway. I'll repot the tween pineapples in the big pots leftover from the front landscaping (14 pots) & sink them into the turf holes. You'll only see the plant, not the pot & the drainage there should be great. It should minimize weeding & be aesthetically & architecturally pleasant. Solar up lights already in place at the base of that wall should highlight the peach-to-red leaves...& give me something else to sit outside at 2am & enjoy!  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment