Sunday 18 November 2012

On the Bream 'Teem' by Lea Ann Robson



Yesterday evening’s swim was one of those exceptions to the old Groucho Marx quote (“I don’t care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.”) I’m always oddly flattered when an animal accepts me on its level.  OK, usually that’s my dog Mu when I’m in the floor doing yoga (downward dog is a fave), but this time it is about fish. 

To say I’m focused when I’m snorkeling for sea glass is like saying a monsoon might be damp.  Friends who show up at the beach after I’m face down find the only way to get me to acknowledge their presence is to hurl something near my head so it makes a big thwunk in the water next to me.  OK, that’s one friend’s methods, & he doesn’t care that I’ve got lumps on my head from where he ‘missed.’  I know, I know—Nemo.  “With fronds like these, who needs anemones?”  (Wow, I pulled out a nautical pun quote!  Impressive!)
My Sea Glass Pendants
But back to yesterday.  I broke my mask strap as I was putting it on, no doubt due to silicon fatigue from overuse.  Not to be thwarted by a silly detail like a strapless mask, I exhaled & suction-stuck it to my round face & went about my mission.  It worked well enough for me to haul in several pounds of my quarry, but the concession was that I’d have to pop my head up & clear more often, something I usually avoid (lest I miss the perfect pendant piece of aqua glass, as I’m positive I would). 

So I was ‘blowing the hatch’ as it were & when I re-dunked, I caught motion in my peripheral vision, looked up & realized I was in the middle of the biggest school of fish I’ve ever been a part of.  They were inch-long & shiny, all rainbow iridescent & fearless & flowing against me on all sides.  And I had that wonderful sensation I get when there is no gap between nature & me, & I’m a part of what I love.  Don’t spread it around, but sometimes it makes me tear up inside my mask.  What must the fish think?

No comments:

Post a Comment