Friday 10 June 2016

Moving Heavens & Good Earth

The ridiculous & the sublime were well represented today. I did my usual after work mambo--changed into my play clothes, one of the tennis outfits D used to call my 'cheerleading ensems,' grabbed my scoop of black beans & glass of lime water, sat out back & read 2 chapters before choosing tonight's yard project & plunging in.  
Note:  If you start umpteen million projects simultaneously, you always have something different to turn to when you are suffering from lack of momentum in any quadrant. At least that's what I tell myself.
So tonight I wanted to move the compost bin to a less visible area, because though I love it with every waking fiber (& peel, shell & skin), I don't expect everyone to get it. The bin, like a lot of nifty things came with the house. So for 8 years with me & who knows how many before that, all the uber rich nutrients from every peel, eggshell & let's be honest--a LOT of coffee grounds has leeched into the ground under it. My version of sacred ground, which, once I pulled up & rolled the bin downslope to the new locale was so fine & rich it resembled instant espresso powder. There is a 2' diameter circle of it where I will plant something really special. 
After that I shoveled gravel & quarry dust awhile, & came in to watch Scandal on Netflix & do laundry. 
But the best part of every evening comes after yard work, after TV, yoga, clean up, etc.  just before sleep I go back out, lie down & look up. By this point it is anytime between midnight & 2 am & most neighbors have doused their lights & turned in, leaving the stars very little competition.  
I don't catalog what I'm looking at, just enjoy the calm reliability of their presence. Bat trails zip between the fruit trees, slicing the milky way above.  And the stars just are. A cosmic nightlight before bed. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment